There were no comments yesterday, so no winners today.
This time I wanted to talk about pet peeves when it comes to books. I know you love romance novels just like I do, but what are your pet peeves about them? You know, those things that get under your skin and make you throw the book across the room?
I have a few:
- Amnesia. As soon as I see that word, I put down the book.
- Stupid heroine. I simply cannot stand a heroine who does things that make no sense. In movies, it is the girl walking in the woods at night in her nightgown or going down into the basement without turning on the light. I shout at the TV. Why is this woman not taking precautions, especially if she knows there is a monster/vampire/psycho killer on the loose? The same things happen in books. The hero tells you to STAY PUT, heroine, because he’s trying to save you from the evil agent/psycho killer/former-best-friend-turned-enemy! So why do you think it’s okay to run out to the car at right this moment? Seriously?
- HEA that is too easy. If the hero and heroine are madly in love by the middle of the book, it’s really hard to get that tension back. (I just read one like this.)
- Words used incorrectly or spelled incorrectly. Multiple people have looked at the book before it is ever released into the wild. How is it that you think she “lead” them on a wild goose chase? (Should be ‘led’.) Where was the copyeditor on that one?
- Wandering body parts. This drives me nuts. His hands slid down her back. (Do they have an owner or are they working independently? I would prefer He slid his hands down her back.) His eyes smiled. (Eyes don’t have lips). He rolled his eyes towards her. (Sounds like a painful bowling game to me!)
What about you? What are your pet peeves when it comes to books? Those who comment will be included in a drawing to win a paperback title from my backlist!